HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE HONORED WITH CAPITOL MONUMENT

By Bartee Haile

A monument honoring the courage and sacrifice of Hood's Texas Brigade was dedicated on the grounds of the state capitol in Austin on Oct. 27, 1910. In the fast-paced weeks following secession, the Confederacy called upon its westernmost member to furnish 20 infantry companies. Texas responded with 32 combat-ready units, local and county militias that eagerly marched off to war half a continent away. Enlisting en masse under names like the Knights of Guadalupe County, Five Shooters, Texas Invincibles and Polk County Flying Artillery, more than 4,000 Lone Star volunteers joined the Confederate Army.

To view more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition 

Rate this article: 
No votes yet