SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE KEPT TECH WAITING THREE DECADES

by Bartee Haile
 
On Oct. 2, 1925, the day after Texas Technological College opened its doors, the Matadors played the McMurry Indians to a scoreless draw in the first football game in the history of the South Plains school. From the very start Tech had its heart set on joining the University of Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Rice, Baylor, Southern Methodist and Texas Christian as the eighth member of the Southwest Conference organized in 1914. With that in mind, Ewing Y. Freeland, an assistant at SMU, was hired as athletic director and head football coach.
 
Rate this article: 
No votes yet